Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thankful....

by Liz


With Thanksgiving this week, I thought it would be a good idea to share what this Rider is thankful for in the context of… well, riding.  I have particularly been down on riding as of late.  Happier with driving in than riding the bus it might be hard to come up with a thankful list, but I’ll just look to the quote that is on my cubical wall this week.  “There is always, always, always something to be thankful for.”  Sure! Yeah! You betcha!  No, really there is always something to be thankful for, even when bleak feels more comfortable.  
As a rider, I am thankful for…
1.     Bus drivers… some are more considerate than others, but most are generous and kind with their customer service  and getting a bus load of people safely from point A to B. 

2.     Bus adventures with friends… it could be a planned one or a ride on the same line with a friend after a Happy Hour tryst.  It is fun to chat and enjoy the adventure with some good company.

3.     Wi-Fi on the D line… the tech geek in me is happy when I can connect with the Wi-Fi’s hot spot to browse on Pinterest during my ride without draining my battery over 3G connections.  I know!  I am such a nerd!

4.    Reading… Like Jamie posted about the opportunity read more while riding the bus or waiting for it to come.  I too have been able to read a few more books in the past 6 months with the extra wait/ride time.  Yay books!

5.    Green… I am happy to do my part to help lessen the carbon footprint.  Riding gives me the opportunity to increase my part. 

6.    Savings… parking adds up, even with the smallish amount that I drive in to work I feel I have to justify paying for parking when riding the bus is a free-ish task. 

7.    Community… riding gives me the experience to meet more people in this rainy city.  It is so wonderful watching people be kind and generous to each other. 

8.    Bus lanes… when traffic is bad and I’m on the bus passing all the folks in their cars, I’m thankful that I should not be too late for work :O)

9.    Walks to and from the bus stop… sometimes up to a mile, the walk helps clear my head and is part of my commute.  I truly enjoy it (when it is not too windy or wet or cold or dark or…) I try to truly enjoy it when I can. 

10.  Blogging… I am thankful for the past 5 months of posting stories with my friend Jamie and sharing them with you.  It is an odd platform, but it works for a couple of odd ladies. 
I hope you all have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving and everyday.  On top of being a thankful Rider, as a thankful lady I would like to add a few personal notes…  I am thankful for my family, friends, friends that have become family, job, home, and life.  Life is pretty darn good and that is fan-freakin’-tastic!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment