Friday, January 11, 2013

Free Fallin’

by Liz

 

Yes, if the first thing that came to mind is Tom Petty’s 1989 song you’re right.  Why? You ask.   Well, I recently had a conversation with a co-worker that took me on a journey down memory lane where the song Free Fallin' was sort of a theme for me.   Twelve and a half years ago,  a motley crew of four including myself jumped out of a perfectly good airplane.  What a thrill!  It was the summer after graduating high school and I was itching to experience the extreme.  Success! 

A caravan headed a little south of Grand Rapids, MI to Hastings where the event was going to take place on a beautiful end of summer day.  Parents in tow to watch and then head down for a visit in North Carolina, I was happy to be able to share that day with them.  One of my favorite memories of the day happened after I was strapped in and my shoe needed to be tied.  I was lucky to have my amazing Dad tie my shoe for me.  What a Daddy thing to do for his little girl that was about the free fall from 3,000+ feet in the air falling at 120 mph.  The Tandem style jump was perfect!  A exhilarating free fall of a minute or so, it actually does not feel like you’re falling.  Just windy, very very windy!

The parachute pops open lofts you down over the picturesque farmland like the feather flitting and floating in Forest Gump.   This amazing feeling and view last for about 5 minutes as the ground is getting bigger and bigger by the second.  Landing was light and as smooth as one would hope for.  My head swam as I tried to relive that over and over again, adrenaline pumping through my veins.  That thrill and day will be with me forever and I am ever so glad to have taken the leap. 

Now, I don’t consider myself an adrenaline junkie.  I do enjoy the extreme and have had some amazing experiences in my life including white water rafting and rappelling.  I’m never shy around a good amusement park ride and I’m also willing to try almost anything once.  I do know that I will definitely be up for another skydiving session anytime.  Name the time and place and I’ll be there!  Big thanks to the co-worker for helping me relive such a wonderful adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment