Tuesday, October 16, 2012

FaceTime

by Liz


Yes, FaceTime.  The Apple version of Skype, a way of talking to your loved ones over the Internet while actually seeing their face.  I enjoy using both of these apps with my friends and family that are 2500+ miles away.   For the last two Christmas Eve and Mornings my parents in Michigan, Sister Micki in North Carolina and I Skyped next to our respective Christmas Tree’s and had our family Christmas over the net.  Amazing.  We can’t be together, so the next best thing is to have a three way web chat while laughing, enjoying some spirits and watching each other as we open the gifts that had arrived in the mail. 

With the magical iPhone, I was able to do something that was crazy cool on the new Rapid Ride D line and the free wi-fi service on board.  You guessed it!  I FaceTimed with Mama on a ride into work.  The day before the face to phone/phone to face view of the bus, Mama called and asked if I was on the bus yet so she could see it via FaceTime.  My initial reaction was a hearty single exhale laugh.  I am not a fan of talking on the bus at all.  I don’t even like to talk on my phone at work due to the cubical world that everyone can hear your conversation, professional or personal same issues with me.  I don’t take or make calls in the car if I’m with someone else.  I will walk out of a room that is occupied with someone else if a call comes in.   Even if it’s going to be a short one and I’m done by the time I’ve hit the doorway.  That is just me. 

So why would I FaceTime with anyone in such a public place.  Well, the odds were in my Mom’s favor that Wednesday morning when the back of the bus was empty and I snagged the seat with no one around.  I took the opportunity before more stops had folks fill in the space around me and called Mama to FaceTime with her.  I had my headphones in so I was the only one that could hear her.  I talked a wee bit in a whisper that was probably not that much fun for her, but hey she knows my quirks, she’s my Mama!  I showed her the bus the best I could in all of it’s shinny-ness new glory.  She even made her co-worker Andy see the quick tour as we talked. 

As the bus filled I started talking less and less and realized I was miming into my phone.  Coming to the realization that I must have looked like escapee from the cuckoo nest.  Granted I may actually already look like that to any observer.  Wrapping up my show to Mama, I waved goodbye and signed I Love You and she reciprocated.  What a treat!  Stepping out of my comfy zone I got to have a quick chat and see my mom’s beautiful face.  Not a bad way to start the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment