Tuesday, October 2, 2012

D Line

by Liz


Like a kid on their first day of school, I was super excited when I woke up on Monday morning.  Finally, I’d get my chance to ride the new Rapid Ride.  How thrilling this will be.  The bus will arrive every 10 minutes and take me to work on a new fandangled bus.  I made my way to the stop, checking the One Bus Away App on my phone.  It was cryptic with it’s description of the ‘D Line’ and how it will arrive in 4 minutes and every 10 minutes after that.  Okay that’s fine.  Four minutes until it arrives, that is not bad.  Ummm, no it was more like 14 minutes until the bus slid along the curb and halted for me and the 5 other passengers to get on. 

Oh goodie, the bus is full too, I’ll be standing in the aisle as this bus proceeds to move along and stop at every stop in line letting 1-2 people on each time.  Two stops after mine a gentleman stepped in the side door inset with me and he seemed a little confused.  As the bust took off the similar aged man with a oversized backpack had yet to get his footing and did not grab a railing or hand strap before the bus came to a quick stop.  The full force of a full grown man and his backpack slammed into me.  He apologized, I smiled and exclaimed no worries.  Then he proceeded to talk for a few minutes about how this was a new ride for him and he had not been on this bus before.  Seriously buddy, this was the first time for all of us to be on this ride.  Maybe, he was a new commuter… not sure, but Anyhoo.  My warm fuzzy first day of school feelings had long passed and I was just ready to get to my stop outside work and exit. 

Fast forwarding to the 5 o’clock whistle blowing and time to leave the cubical world, I headed over to the alternate bus stop.  The county is still working on the new stop and were not successful in completion before the go date of September 29th.  It’s okay, that was not the inconvenient part of my commute home at all.  I experienced a Déjà vu wait for the bus to arrive that had mirrored my morning wait.  This time, I was able to snag a seat after three stops.  It was still a pretty full bus ride home.  Is this what it is going to be like? Late busses, super crowded, and vast annoyance?

I was kinda over the bus commute after yesterday’s ride.  Listening to NPR last night they highlighted a few folks around the city that were experiencing some issues as well with the changes.  Some found the new pay when you enter a little confusing.  Others felt things work just fine with the change.  Granted it’s a change and I understand there is a learning curve.  

My third ride on the Rapid Ride was coming into work today, this was a little crazy as well… When I got on there were plenty of seats and I grabbed one near the rear of the bus.  As we chugged along and stopped, the bus quickly became very full and the aisles were littered with people.  I was nearing my spot and slight fretfulness came over me as I wondered how am I going to get to the door to exit.  Enough folks exited the previous stop to help out my situation and I only had to excuse me/pardon me a few times to get to the door.   I am so happy that I can take the express route home.  Well, that is if timing works out for me.  Cross your fingers please.

I will not be a complete negative nelly… I do have a few positives to point out about the new ride.  The busses are so pretty.  They are clean and the seats are nice, the lighting is lovely, and it’s so shinny.  Also, the drivers seem to be in exceptionally high spirits.  Very kind and helpful to those folks that just are not quite getting it.  Lastly, the bus offers free Wi-Fi.  I tapped into that and was able to listen to Pandora on my way to work this morning.  With the raining Seattle fall on the horizon, I hope that the kinks get worked out and the new D line will be a well oiled machine transporting the masses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment