Tuesday, December 18, 2012

7 Days until Christmas

by Liz


Whoa, only one week until Christmas!  That is crazy cool!  I’m more excited than Frosty after a blizzard.  Sharing the joys of Christmas Spirit all around is just one of the many things I love about this Magical time of year.  Others include, caroling, presents (giving and receiving, yo!), Christmas music, gatherings with loved ones (even if by Skype), and the movies… I love Christmas movies.  The classics and the made for T.V. guilty pleasures that invade the small screen each year.

So, before I list out my top ten Christmas movies, I’ll tie in a little ‘Rider’ Christmas tale.  In 1985 Chris Van Allsburg wrote a Christmas story for young children that was made into a movie in 2004, The Polar Express.  I feel the main reason that I’m drawn to this book/movie is that the Author sets the beginning of the book in his home town of Grand Rapids, MI.  That just happens to be my home town too! Like most grand adventures that happen in books, the character makes a questionable call.  In the Polar Express, a young boy decides to board a strange train that happens to stop outside his house on Christmas Eve.  Northward bound on the way to the North Pole, where a few other children in their PJ’s get to see Santa and thousand of Elves as they prepare for the busy night ahead.    The journey/ride is a magical one where kids who are in the realm of questioning the belief in Santa get a chance to see and truly believe.  How brilliant would that be to get to go on that adventure?

However, even though The Polar Express is dear to me, it does not make my top ten Christmas movie list.   It’s hard to pick an all time favorite.  Each of these ten mean so much to me in different ways. So, in no particular order here they are with their year of release and a bit of why I love them.

1.     White Christmas,  1954: Bing Crosby singing White Christmas gets me every time.  This classic is a Morris family favorite and one that I’ve seen a million times over and love more and more each time.  Snow, Snow, Snow… Sisters… great songs as well.  Who does not love Danny Kaye’s comedic overtone, Rosemary Clooney’s lovely voice and Vera-Ellen’s dance moves.  Magical.
2.     It’s A Wonderful Life, 1946: Not only is Frank Capra’s film a classic American Standard, the story is known around the world and still rings true as one of the most watched Christmas movies of all time.  It’s a win win for me, the movie features my all time favorite actor James (Jimmy Stewart) and his character of George Baily shows an amazing depth on the human emotion.  Of course the scene where Jimmy and Donna Reed’s character Mary are dancing over the gym floor that is opening over the pool is classic!
3.    Love Actually, 2003: This modern classic is amazing and I love every bit of it.  The stories that collide in and out for the many characters in London around Christmas.  Not only does this one make my top ten Christmas movies, it makes my top ten all time favorite movies.  Love + Christmas + Colin Firth + Liam Neeson = Perfect!
4.    The Christmas Shoes, 2002: a movie based on a New Song song, that has been made into series of books and movies.  This one gets on the list because it’s a special one for me and my Mom.  We love this movie and series and cry our eyes out every time we see it.
5.    Little Women, 1994: Again, not exactly a Christmas movie, but one I love watching at Christmas time.  The classic story of four sisters during the Civil War era and their journey of family and love is a memorable one for me. 
6.    The Family Stone, 2005: If you’ve ever heard me spout out ‘Hold the phone!’ you can thank this movie for giving me that one.  This family tale is a guilty pleasure that is a must see for me every year!
7.     The Christmas Card, 2006: This made for TV movie made my list because of it’s gentle soul and lovely story.  It’s not a big production and as most of my family and friends know I’m a sucker for the Hallmark movies, so it’s not that big of a surprise. 
8.     Meet Me in St. Louis,  1944: Not an all around Christmas Movie per say, this Judy Garland gem touches on all four seasons for the Smith Family living in St. Louis leading up to the 1904 World’s Fair.  This great movie is where we first get the Christmas classic song Have Yourself a Merry Christmas. 
9.   A Very Brady Christmas, 1988: Words cannot describe how awesome this movie is.  It gains more and more awesomeness with dipping into the Holiday Spirits, if you get my drift.  A family reunion of sorts from the popular sitcom brings the Brady family together for Christmas.  Mr. and Mrs. Brady enjoy a Gift of the Magi moment in the first half and family love that will have you keep on keep on keep on dancing all through the night.
10. Home Alone, 1990:  How could I not love this movie, eight year old Kevin gets left home alone at Christmas whilst his family is in Paris.  Every kid’s dream/nightmare.  Reason enough for me to have a connection with this film is that I too was eight years old when it came out and remember going to Studio 28 to watch this with the family.  Granted I think I was the only one that really loved it. 


That’s it… my top ten Christmas Movie List.   I’d love you to leave some comments below and share your favorites.  That or you can post on Facebook it is easier. 

Merry Christmas to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment