Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Smashed Finger, Boo!

by Liz


Riding has been more than eventful these past few weeks.  I’ve been having trouble riding the bus to work more than 2-3 days a week these days.  However, that will change soon enough, mostly because the early bird lot that I park in raised their rates yet again.  It’s only a $1 increase, but that is enough.  Last week I had two memorable rides that I will share with you. 

As you may gather from my post last week, I’m a wee bit Jolly about Christmas.  I love this time of year!  Thanks to my roommate Kelli, who scored sneak preview passes to Hyde Park on Hudson meant a change of route.  After work, I headed to the downtown core on one of the many buses outside work that heads that way.  As all buses seem to be these days, over crowded it was a treat to listen to two men loudly discuss their opinions on film.  Specifically how they both love and loathed Film Noir.   It was so exciting I cannot contain my elation!  Getting off at Pine and 3rd, I exited with almost the whole bus, as most were headed to Westlake to get onto another transit to continue their commute.

I however, enjoyed the walk a few blocks towards Pacific Place.  Walking through Downtown this time of year is wonderful.  All the window displays of winter wonderlands, the lights on every street corner, massive decorated Christmas Tree, street performers playing Christmas music, and SANTA!!!!  I love walking by Nordstroms this time of year, where you can watch through the window all the kiddies, excited or a wee bit scared get on Santa’s lap and ask for their Christmas wishes.  Also, I got to experience my first snow fall of the season.  Granted it was a indoor snow show that happens every day at 6pm inside Pacific Place.  Magical!

Snow falling at Pacific Place

The next night’s commute home was way less magical, but just as eventful.  After waiting for the Rapid Ride to arrive for 20 minutes mind you… Those things are supposed to come every 10 minutes.  Which I was waiting for because I missed the on time express bus that leaves right when I get off.  So if I don’t have my ‘stuff’ together then I’m out of luck and have to wait until the next one at 5:18 or try for the Rapid Ride D line.  It was a cold December night standing at the bus stop, consolation was that it was dry.  Anyhoo, the D line was coming and so was the express so I ran over to the other stop to get the express (it really is much faster if leaving at the same time).  

Stepping onto the full bus, I was greeted by a friendly lady driver.  It was nice to meet her smile.   Standing in the front part of the aisle, there was about a dozen people standing, but it was not as crowded as other bus rides have been lately.  The final stop had two more souls embark before the bus made it’s way along the bus lane on Elliot. 

Standing there as I streamed the Christmas channel from Pandora on my phone, I noticed that holding onto the top bar was more difficult with my gloves.  They were a little thick and made it hard to grip as well as my hands sliding around on the chrome bar.  However, with one hand up holding on, I managed to get my other hand up to brace myself as the bus slammed hard on it’s breaks.  I saw the two folks standing in front of me smash into each other and braced myself as the lady behind me crashed into me.  Thank you Mr. Car for pulling out in front of a bus going the speed limit in the bus lane.  I smashed my right pointer finger (boo) and was happy to report that was the only injury.  The bus driver was in good spirits about it and wished us all a safe evening as we disembarked. 

With the cold and dark December weather, I may find it hard to ride in as much as I had been.  Also, the need to run errands and enjoy festive happenings after work makes having a vehicle on hand easier.  However, if I manage to ride in two days a week I know that will save some money and energy.  I just might have to buy new gloves with traction to grip the handrails with more ease.  As a lover of winter scarfs, hats, and gloves that will be such a hard task for me to handle, but I'll manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment