Friday, March 1, 2013

Dear Annoying Advertisers,

by Liz


An open letter to flyer on windshield advertisers,

Dear Annoying Advertisers,

I understand that you want your business to get some extra exposure.  Walking around parking lots or streets and depositing your flyer, menu, or coupon on unsuspecting cars is how you chose to use your advertising budget.  Let me enlighten you… That method backfires more than not.  I will go out of my way to not support a business that uses this tactic. 

Harsh, you say? Well, let’s look a little closer at this.  Walking to my car after work or an adventure out and about I see a piece of paper tucked under my windshield wiper.  First though: CRAP!  I got a ticket.  How did I park wrong?  How much is this going to cost?  Why oh why me?  Then as I get closer I see that it is not an envelope and most likely not a ticket.  Second thought:  Crap!  (not shouty capitals this time).  Someone left a note on my car because they hit it or think I caused their car damage.  What did I do wrong?  How much is this going to cost?  Why oh why me? Lots of thoughts going through this head in a span of fifteen seconds

Finally, I reach my car and pull of the anxiety ridden piece of paper to find out that XYZ Gym is opening and there is a new special or MR. Restaurant has a new menu and I can get free egg rolls with an order over $50.  DAMN advertisement.  You made me experience a moment of apprehension.  First off, GRRRRRRRRR!!!!  Now I’m irritated.  Oh, my irritation is not just over the worry caused, but now I have to dispose of said flyer.  Of course there are no recycle bins near by and I don’t want to litter so I bring the flyer into my car.  Now I have to remember to bring it in to the house or straight to the recycle bin when I get home. 

Instead of being excited about your business or cause, I’m just plain pissed off.  I’ve spent all this extra time thinking on how I will not be supporting your business or cause. How about them apples advertisement genius.  Shame on you flyer on car windshield guy, shame on you!

Sincerely,
Annoyed and Irritated

No comments:

Post a Comment