Saturday, March 9, 2013

Nature Urban Style

by Liz

One of the great things about living in Seattle is that it is surrounded by so much nature.  The beautiful Olympic mountain range sits across the Sound to the West and the awe-inspiring Cascade mountain range to the East.  The concrete metropolis is inundated with lush and beautiful scenery via parks, trees, and water.  Now every city has it's fair share of parks and beautiful places to get in tune with the outdoors while never leaving the city limits.  Each city that I've had the pleasure of living in beckoned at least one escape for me.  

Growing up in Grand Rapids, MI my refuge along with my family was the near by Garfield Park, it has a wicked frisbee golf course too!  While off at college, I was drawn to the Waterfront Park in downtown Charleston, SC.  Yes, the same one with the Pineapple Fountain and really big bench swings that over looks the Bay where I would spy many Porpoises.  In Holland, MI going out to the state park and walking along the coast of Lake Michigan and watching the sunset was always a peaceful escape.

In Seattle, I've found many places that give me that urban nature need.  Proximity is key for the place I have been enjoying a lot lately.  That is Green Lake, the mecca to many of Seattle's walkers, runners, dogs, rowers, park lover, and organized sports participators.  It is a park that can be enjoyed year round and even found a couple of friends and I  singing Christmas Carols during the luminaries path this past December.  I find myself enjoying jaunts around the 3 mile loop while getting lost in my thoughts, listening to music, or catching up with my sister.  I've meet many smiling faces and seen tons of cute dogs.

Although I would love to escape the city limits more often than I do, I'm appreciative to have such wonderful and beautiful places to escape the humdrum of city life in my back yard.  So, pack a picnic or just a jacket and your walking shoes and get out enjoy what wonderful parks your city or town has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment