Thursday, April 11, 2013

Full Circle

By Liz


It's been no secret that the Rider Chronicles has been less about the riding these days.  The bus has taken a non existent backseat as the need/want to have a little more control over my time.  Also, since King County Metro made some cuts and changes 6 months ago the buses are not as reliable and way more over crowded than they were a year ago.   There are still the few circumstances that arise where I find myself needing to rely on public transit.  One of which was today.   

Granted my trip was one way since I was able to get dropped off at work this morning.  Yay!!!  As five o'clock neared, I fired up the good old One Bus Away App to see if it was going to be the D-Line or the 15 express.  Ten minutes before the proverbial whistle blew, it looked like the 15X was going to be the winner.  Packing up my desk and glancing at the App one more time, I realized that the App is in fact crap. Delay after delay popped up and I changed my course heading to the D-line bus, when lo and behold, I see the 15x that was supposed to be 14 minutes late.  Yup, heading for the stop a block away.  Good thing I've been running and was able to make it on board before the bus took off.  

As annoying as the start to my commute home was, I found the ride carefree and a lot speedier than I expected. Of course it's been too long and I'm not sure if I can chalk this up as the norm or an exception.  It only took about twenty extra minutes to get home and start my post work activities.  I might just have to break down and bus it to and fro a couple times a week.  The money saved may be worth time and such.   I guess I won't know if I don't give it one more go!   Here is to coming full circle on the commute train.  

No comments:

Post a Comment