Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Connectivity

by: Liz


Riding along Inter-Bay to work this morning, struck by one of those moments where multiple people connect due to a factor or event.  This event was the stopping of traffic as a semi decided that rush hour traffic was the perfect time to back into a loading dock and block all three lanes of traffic.  It took me a second to look up from my book as we had stopped longer than a traditional traffic light on this route.  As my eyes moved to see what was going on, almost shocked by the corner of said semi truck nearly kissing the front of the bus. 
As I looked around meeting eyes with several of my fellow commuters we each gave the look of “Oh My!  Isn’t this going to be fun” and “Seriously!”  As annoying, as this stop was, I wanted desperately to get to work and all, I found myself thinking how much I enjoy these moments.  The one where strangers verge on a collective stream of thoughts and concepts about something that is happening to all of them at the same time.  Making eye contact and really seeing the people around you.
In these moments, it is hard not to feel a closer connection to humanity…    The subtle comprehension that we are not alone in this big old world.  Sometimes these moments are brief seconds and that is just enough to comprehend what is happening.  These exhilarating instants of civility that brings hope and encouragement. The connectivity of smiles, nods, and smirk alike sets at ease even the minute frustrating moments. 
I sometimes ponder the state of connection that we as a society are currently accustomed.  Armed with my iPhone and a book I tend to people watch enough on the bus, but there is less of an approachable factor that in olden days.  Oh my word, I am pulling out the olden day’s cliché.  Often, I am plugged-in per say listening to music or a podcast, updating a status on Facebook, and looking at celebrity tweets.  Does this mean that someone is less likely to approach me to talk?   I would think so, mainly because I do not usually approached people if they are plugged in and into their own thing.  Is that rude?  Nevertheless, what are we missing? 
Maybe hearing an amazing story from the man sitting across the isle from you that recalls where he was the when man landed on the moon.  How he longed to be an astronaut, but alas decided accounting was his true calling.
Or...The mother gushing about her child’s first steps.  How she caught it on her iPad while Skyping with her mother that is going blind and she was able to see little Timmy walk before she lost sight.
Or… The twenty two year old Mr. Man-boy that was nervously excited about his first interview for a internship with a hoity-toity company that he was going to make a difference at.  To then flash forward 5 years and realize he was same Mr. Man-boy that was on the cover of Fortune as the top 10 under 30 richest in the world.  He really did make a difference with all the philanthropy.   
Connecting with social media at our fingertips sometimes leads to missed opportunity to connect with what is right in front of our faces.  Making those moments of connection all the more precious.  Does this sound a wee bit hokey?  Probably!  I tend to err on the corny and soppy.  It is the “Gosh darn it guys!”  And “Gee wiz” in me.  However, I do hope to un-plug more often and invite happenstance events. 

No comments:

Post a Comment