Friday, June 22, 2012

Cute or Annoying?

By Jamie

What would you think if in the middle of your bus commute 13 toddlers hopped on your bus (along w/adult helpers, of course)? That’s 26 little legs that have trouble with the steps, trouble with the seats…and honestly they are toddlers, so some might think trouble period.  Some people would think it was the cutest thing on God’s green earth.  Others would think it is bothersome to have their day slowed down by these 13 shorties, not to mention the noise that usually accompanies a toddler horde.  What if I told you these toddlers were all dressed in matching purple and white striped shirts?  For some people it shot the cute factor out the roof!  And for those who thought they were annoying it didn’t change a thing, in fact they probably thought they looked like pint sized jail birds. 
My travelin' companions.
How would I know all this?  I accompanied my daughter’s daycare on a trip to the zoo, and the cheapest, easiest mode of transportation is the city bus.  The trip included a transfer each way, so that was 4 bus rides total.  4 different groups of people to either delight or piss off.   I have to give it to the toddlers.  All were on their very best behavior, no yelling, screaming, running.  None of them were scared and all of them followed directions.  But we did draw attention all the live long day.  Imagine in a line of toddlers dressed alike.  Love it or not we turned heads (one lady rooted us on as we crossed the street)

The rules of the road don’t change when you are with children.  Once the last foot has left the sidewalk the doors closed and the bus rolled.  As an adult we’re used to that…but to see these little guys fly forward was a little frightening.  If I were a different mother it might be maddening, but for me I figure the sooner one figures thing out the better.  And you know toddlers, they are sponges so no only do they pick up the word “fuck” easily they learn the ropes on a bus easily. 

On this day I didn’t have a chance to observe many bus riders, but I’m guess me and my troop were providing lots of stories for our fellow bus riders.  That is one of my favorite things about being a bus rider…you never, ever know what you’re going to get.  Sure there are good guesses that at 7:40am I’m going to be with office commuters, but that’s all it is…a good guess.  It makes you part of this community of folks that you might otherwise never cross paths with. 

And of course, this had lead me to ponder, when is a child old enough to ride the bus alone?  So for my 2 year old it might be a decade, but I’m going to remember this day and remember that she is capable of being a bus rider at any age, just like mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment