Friday, July 6, 2012

The Biggest Gift Would Be From Me...

By Jamie

It was one of those Fridays.  I had a huge case of the fuck-its.  So bad that at 11:15 I barged in to my supervisors office and said “I’ve got the fuck-its, can I leave at noon?”  He was a bit shocked, but obliged.  My husband had been out of town that week, kiddo was sick, I was tired and work wasn’t offering me anything more than misery.  This is why I have vacation right?  Sometimes it’s planned but sometimes you just got to take 4 hours to make it.  I was excited to go home, relax, start my weekend. 

Standing at the bus stop my mood didn’t improve much.  I just wanted to get the commute over and be home.  It was sunny, so that was pleasant, but that is where the pleasantry stopped for me.  The bus came, I got on and the bus lurched forward.  I always loose a little bit of my balance when the driver hits the gas, I’m used to it.  Then someone grabbed my arm, as if to steady me.  In my head I was thinking “Hands off…I can handle this.  Don’t touch me.  I’m a sour as milk left out for days”.  I turn to see who this person was who would reach out and touch a stranger…I was going to give him or her the most evil fuck off face.  And what to my delight do I find, only one of my favorite friends, the one and only Jody.  I squealed like a high school girl and threw myself into the nearest seat.    Jody and I don’t work anywhere near each other, so to see her shiny face was a shock.  Totally out of nowhere!  She had been working on a school project at the Olympic Sculpture Garden (or park?  I don’t really know what the official name of it is) and was headed home. 

The chances of a meeting like this are almost slim to none…but this time none left town!  I thought I’d at least get a 15 minute reprieve from my bad mood.  We got a chance to catch up (Jody being a graduate student and full-time nurse, not to mention a wife to one and friend to many…yeah, her hours are limited) and I got to see her new hair style in person.  To my delight Jody was hungry and had carved out an hour or two to eat…and now I got to be her date.  Two gals, hitting the town at noon on a sunny Friday…for me it was pure luxury!  We ate great food, enjoyed a cocktail or two, but most importantly I had a much needed attitude adjustment.  And if it weren’t for the “stupid bus ride” that I dreaded, I would not started my weekend out so wonderfully.  No, that day I didn’t have a chance to take in fellow passengers…nope I just got to soak in the company of just the person I needed to see.  If she threw a party and invited everyone she knew, she would see the biggest gift would be from me and the card attached would say “Thank you for being a friend”.  (Jody and I are equal lovers of The Golden Girls).

And here’s to your weekend, readers.  I hope some if not most of your time is spent with someone who lifts your spirits, or gives you what ever it is you need.  I’ll toast to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment