Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Chatting Up Strangers

By Liz


About a month ago I wrote about connectivity and how we can be plugged in and less approachable.  When riding the bus during peak times when the majority of folks are commuting to their jobs and not just out for a pleasure trip to the market a quietness happens.  Maybe it’s just because not everyone has had their morning cup of coffee and they dread going into the office to deal with the same mundane job yet again.  It can be understandable that people want to take those last few minutes before the hustle and bustle of the day to reflect on their own time.  Or as the man across from me was doing and playing a game on his Kindle. 

However, when riding (on a bus, plane, or other transit) during non daily routine times a different story may happen.  About two months ago my parents and I were in a shuttle van going from John Wayne Airport to Disneyland (well, Paradise Pier first).  We were having a total vacation and happy time knowing that my sister would be joining us at the hotel and park about 3 hours later.  The Supper Shuttle waits until a full van is there until they leave.  It’s all about the Benjamin’s for them. 

Loaded with nine vacationers and a driver we were headed to the happiest place on earth, well at least to our prospective hotels before going off to the land of Mickey.  The back row which sat four relatively sour faced folks that were not in the highest happy vacation moods.  Poo on them right!  The next row consisted of Mom and Dad, then me and a lady who was traveling with her flight attendant friend that was located in the front passenger seat.  About 5-10 minutes into the 30 minute van ride, the lady next to me complimented me on my earrings.  They are my favorite earrings, with owls in fun colors.  I was happy to have someone else like them too! 

Shortly after that the conversation faucet started pouring.  The two ladies, my parents, and I all did the vacation get to know you talk.  Where we were from?  Where we were staying?  How long we were going to be there?  Of course if you’ve ever been around my family when someone is celebrating a birthday you’d know that they want to make sure everyone knows it.  Soon the ladies knew that we were also celebrating my 30th Birthday on the trip.  My van neighbor perked up and shared she was celebrating her 40th Birthday with her long time friend (the flight attendant).  Two Birthday celebrations in one van headed to Disneyland on a beautiful California May morning, lovely!

Conversing with newly acquainted people is something that has always been pretty easy for me.  I attribute this to my parents, they do this a lot.  It could be the person riding in an elevator with you for 20 seconds or a family that is on the same boat for the Grizzly River Run and are bout to get soaked together.  These encounters become part of your memories.   Nineteen years ago on our family’s first trip to Disney World we went to a Luau at the Polynesian Resort.  Seated at our table was another family of four from Grand Rapids, Michigan and the father worked with the same company as my Dad.  Crazy right! That is still part of my memory from that trip, that we chatted with strangers over dinner and found we were connected in an ‘It’s a Small World’ way.

Of the many things that my parents have passed on to me this is one that I appreciate so much.  Maybe for two years in my youth I would get embarrassed when they would start chatting up complete strangers, but I grew out of that (kinda).  They always told me and my sister that it was their job to embarrass us.  They always were trying for a promotion or something. :O)  In honor of my Mom’s Birthday on Thursday I would like to dedicate this post to her.  Thanks Mom for being you!  Happy Birthday too!


No comments:

Post a Comment