Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Purple Skirt

By Liz


Finally, warm weather shows up in Seattle and people were dressing in dresses, capris, and other weather appropriate garbs.  Purple skirt and striped shirt, the outfit caught my eye in the morning on the way into work.  The style of this professional Gal near my match in age made me wonder what other gems she had in her wardrobe?  The question lasted a moment and then I was off into my daydream about what sitting on a beach with a Mojito in hand and a good summer read… Beach! … Sun!… Swimming!... Oh, I trailed off again there for a moment going back to my daydream.  Anyhoo, back to my story, lets fast forward to the end of the workday now. 

It was typical Wednesday for me, not that eventful and as I entered the bus to head home, I took my spot standing in the isle near the front of the bus.  When we get to the first stop to let commuters off I also did my normal routine of stepping off the bus so 20+ individuals can exit.  Stepping back on and still standing, I repeated the routine at the next stop (one before mine).  While waiting for folks to pay their toll and start on their walk home I noticed the same purple skirt and striped shirt. 
The young woman was talking to the driver with a bit of an overwhelmed look on her face.   It appears that she could not find her Orca Card to pay her way for the bus ride.  He did not push the issue and she expressed her thanks as she exited the bus.  Still frantically looking through her bag and seeming as though she had been deflated by the hard Wednesday.  Back on the bus, and ready to exit for the final time that night I paid with my Orca Card and started on my walk home.  While walking home, I got to thinking about that look of exasperation on purple skirt’s face. 
Purple skirt did not seem to have a great day… One of those where she is late on getting the big assignment into the big boss person.  Then the other big boss person calls her into their office to let her know that Bob is getting the promotion over her.  In the meantime her boyfriend of 3 years Bob, is texting her that it is just not working out.  It is not you, it is me!    Then, to top it all off Purple skirt cannot find the little plastic card that she needs to scan when exiting the bus to cover her fare. 
Kind of a crappy day right?  Well don’ fret, Purple skirt is a strong woman with style and class.  She went home Wednesday night and got the assignment done.  Turning it in on Thursday the big boss person was so impressed that she is promoted to be Bob’s boss.  The Orca Card was found by a beautiful soul of a man that called the number she had put on the card.  Meeting the next day at Starbucks before work to collect her card and treat the Gentleman to a latte as thanks for being so kind.  Sparks fly, whirlwind romance and 8 months later they are on their honeymoon in Hawaii. 
Oh, if only my Liz magic really worked like that and had the fairy tale ending.  I guess we will never know, how mighty my pen (well, keyboard) is.  At least Purple skirt was able to go to the beach…

No comments:

Post a Comment