Monday, September 24, 2012

Smile, I Dare You!

By Liz


Most likely if you’re reading this, you know me.  However for the few of those that don’t let me share something with you.  I am a happy person.  I am genuinely happy most of the time.  I usually show this with a ridiculous smile beaming across my face.  Going throughout my day I usually find that like yawns, smiles are also contagious.  It could be a smile to cheer a friend as you pass them by, smile to say hello to a stranger on the bus, or a way to say let’s make the world brighter. 

Even though I am a happy, smile go lucky person, I too have a plethora of emotion that runs through this heart and soul of mine.  Sometimes if the smile does not come quite as effortless as I may wish or hope for, so I think of a favored song.  Aptly named Smile.  Originally a instrumental score that Charlie Chaplin composed for Modern Times(1936), the song received it’s heartening lyrics  in 1954 by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons.  You may have heard this song through the vocal styling’s of some pretty amazing singers, like Nat King Cole, Natalie Cole, Michael Jackson, Michael Buble, even Glee sang it.  Wowzers Penny, that is saying something. 

The song (see lyrics below) is a simple one that expresses a lovely meaning.  Even when you’re down and out that if you just smile maybe things will start to look brighter.  Why not?  It’s a simple enough thought.  I dare you to smile.  Smile at strangers, smile at your cat or dog, smile at the cranky neighbor that just has something negative to say about everything.   You never know how your smile can be  paid forward and end up touching more hearts along the way. 

Smile

Smile, though your heart is aching
Smile, even though it’s breaking
When there are clouds in the sky
you’ll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You’ll see the sun come shining through
for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness Although a tear may be ever so near
That’s the time you must keep on trying
Smile what’s the use of crying
You’ll find that life is still worthwhile
If you’ll just
Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment