Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Great Wheel

By Liz


Just over two months ago a new attraction opened up on Seattle's Pier. The Great Wheel is quickly becoming a Seattle tourist and local must try. Hosting out of town guest, I found this was the perfect time to try the ride.

After a tip from someone that ventured before me, I purchased my tickets online before hand. Not quite sure when my guest (friend Katherine and her 17 mo old Jacob) and I would make it down to the attraction I kept the tickets on hand, according to the website they don't expire and can be used anytime. Going on a Tuesday at 11:30am, the line for tickets was non existent so that did not save us time. However, you get to bypass that first line if you went online first. Good plan for weekends and nights. Tickets run $12 +tax for adults and kids under 3 are free. There are some other pricing in there, but I did not pay attention.

After the ticket line or bypass, another line forms to board the gondolas. This wait was about 15 min before we boarded #28 of 43 gondolas. The platform to enter allows four parties embark on the ride at the same time. The process seemed to move rather smoothly. Low overhang though, I bumped my head. Luckily because if was not ober busy Katherine, Jacob and I had a gondola to ourselves.

After four more quick loading stops the wheel made about five full rotations. You get a pretty nice view of the City, Sound, Olympic Mountain Range, Mt. Rainier, and the piers. We were even lucky enough to view a Harbor Seal swimming and playing in the waters below. Jacob liked moving from end to end seeing the sights. All in all I'll have to give the ride 4 out of 5 stars. Enjoyable to do once in a while with out of town guest, but like the Space Needle, not a regular must.

No comments:

Post a Comment